TEVTA was formed through an Ordinance (No XXIV of 1999) promulgated by Governor of the Punjab which has now been replaced by TEVTA ACT (ACT X of 2010) Punjab.
To enhance global competitiveness in Punjab, through a quality and productive workforce by developing demand driven, standardized, dynamic and integrated technical education and vocational training service.
- Promote and provide demand driven technical education & vocational training.
- Re-engineer and consolidate the existing technical education and vocational training system under one management structure.
- Develop a dynamic technical and vocational training system to ensure horizontal and vertical mobility.
- Regulate and develop standards of technical education and vocational training including internationally recognized curriculum, examination and certification system.
- Upgrade teaching abilities, skills and knowledge of teaching staff.
- Upgrade teaching equipment to the required standards.
- Establish close relationship with various sectors of economy namely Agriculture, industry, Services and Commerce.
- Assess the manpower training needs in the context of domestic and global markets.
- Enhance the participation of Private Sector in training activities at Management level.
- Establish a system of public coordination through Boards of Management at District level, coordinating all institutions in the District and their administration.
- Motivate the local entrepreneurs to patronize the training programs of TEVTA institutions, provide on-the-job training facilities and employment to the graduates.
- Set up regular Monitoring/Evaluation & Feedback system for the vocational training and teaching education to respond efficiency to the existing and changing demand of the economy.
- Develop & regulate examination, Trade Testing & Certification System to ensure uniformity of Education & Training Standards.
- Prepare training plans, programs and projects keeping in view the local as well as foreign manpower training requirements. • Study and propose changes in the existing training legislations.
- Develop and offer need-based short courses in the sector of new technologies to the Industry and also to offer services for solutions regarding associated production problems.
- Establish a staff development system to offer demand oriented teacher & instructor training and upgrading performance.
- Organize and conduct seminars & workshops for various types of personnel associated with vocational training and technical education.
- Establish Data Banks for skilled workers and technicians.